Thursday, April 7, 2011

ARP Update: to smile or cry?

Where to begin on my action research plan? So many different thoughts are going through my head right now.  I don't know whether I want to smile due to my current success with my ARP or cry because of an unexpected setback. (And yes, I actually want to cry, I'll explain in a bit).

As you may know, my ARP focuses on determining the factors that help improve tutorial attendance. Here is what is currently working EXTREMELY well for me: (This is the "smile" part of my blog)

  • After getting approval from the parents, I contacted the student's 9th period teacher (last teacher of the day) and asked if they could hold the tutorial student after the dismissal bell. After the dismissal bell, their 9th period teacher would walk them to my class for tutorial. Thanks to this strategy, I now have four extra students attending my tutorial. Great method, but it does require teamwork.  Teamwork is key for success!
  • Tutorial contracts: I distributed the tutorial contracts with the purpose of holding the students accountable for attending tutorial. It has served its purpose but I think it would have been more powerful if it had been distributed when tutorials first started back in November.
  • Regarding tutorial strategies: Though I still lecture during my tutorials, I have started implementing more hands on activities and the students love it! We are currently covering the solar system and there are numerous fun, educational activities for this concept.
And now to the "cry" part of the blog...

Last week, I got an e-mail from my dean stating that tutorials will be cancelled as of Wednesday of last week due to lack of funds to pay for the tutoring. In other words, budget cuts! I get sick to my stomach every time I hear hear of all these cuts that are going on in EDUCATION! Of all things, education! Who knows, maybe I'm taking it way too personal due to my profession.

Anyhow, I'm still carrying out tutorials for the sake of the students, TAKS scores, and my action research plan. Although, I must admit that I'm quite upset about this situation and it's not because I will no longer get paid for tutoring. There are about 55421564854 reasons why this upsets me. Here are a few:


  1. Though I am willing to put in the time to tutor for free, not all teachers are willing to do the same, nor should they be expected to.
  2. The lack of tutorials will eventually lead to lower TAKS scores. If the state wants to take this away from the students, then maybe they shouldn't have such high expectations.
  3. Cuts on EDUCATION, really? Really? I mean, really? Am I getting my point across?
  4. How can we expect to have a brighter tomorrow if the state is eliminating the resources to get to that point?
  5. No tutorials --> Lower TAKS scores --> Upset administration --> Upset faculty --> Negative school culture
  6. It makes me second guess my action research plan. My results were intended to provide insight and helpful strategies so that other educators can implement them. How can they implement them if tutorials are cancelled? Hopefully you guys can help me get the word out on my results to those districts that are still holding tutorials.
I could go on and on, but due to my headache I will end it with a thank you. Thank you for taking the time to read my blog and allowing me to express my views on this matter. I hope TAKS tests are not getting the best of you. Two more weeks for mine! April 28th=8th Grade Science TAKS test. Wish us luck!

2 comments:

  1. I do not know how your school schedule operates but a couple things we do in our campus is to provide a tutoring bus afterschool for those students ho do stay. Due to budget that may not work. However, one thing that may work is we have them use half their lunch and/or elective period as a tutoring opportunity. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. See if you can work with your principal to incorporate tutorials as part of the regular day. Perhaps a homeroom period or something. Then you can spearhead the professional development on best practices for that endeavor.

    ReplyDelete